I'm not the biggest fan of new year's resolutions, I prefer lifestyle changes. I started jotting down a list of things that I've been working on and while I don't expect to knock everything on this list every day, I plan to do many of these every day and who knows, there could be some days when I do everything on this list. Feel free to add to this list or borrow from this list and let's all continue to be better versions of ourselves.
- Yoga - I love Yoga by Adriene on YouTube (some videos are as short as 15 minutes when you don't have a lot of time).
- Move / Exercise - If you have time to binge watch Queens Gambit (guilty), you can go for a 30 minute walk or jog. I heard a podcast where the author said he started working out by doing 2 push ups after going to the bathroom every day. Start small and add to it.
- Write in my gratitude journal. Even when we have a tough day, we have many things to be grateful for. I keep up with the 5 minute journal to write what I am grateful for, what would make today a great day, and daily affirmations.
- Tell someone you love them (and make it weird if the mood strikes you). If you care for someone, tell them you love them. I love so many people and I want them to know that someone loves them!
- I mentioned walking up above, but walking even for 15 minutes to clear your head is a great thing. Walking meetings with friends or even business contacts is a great way to get some steps and conversation!
- Drink Water - I have a 32 ounce water bottle and I try to drink it at least 4 times a day to get enough water each day.
- Eat fresh veggies and fruits - I'm not always the best at this, but I'm trying to be better about having apples and bananas and arugula and spinach around the house.
- Connect with friends, old and new - This is harder to do during Covid, but even asking a friend to do errands together makes those errands much easier and more fun to do.
- Savor every bite and every experience - Have you eaten something so fast or so distracted, you can't remember what flavors you had just eaten? Take your time and savor every bite and every experience.
- Find moments of stillness - I've become a bath enthusiast this past year. There are times where we are just running all day long and it's important to take some time to be still.
- Get curious - When we are kids, we want to learn about how everything works and whether it's the monotony of school and life, we lose that as adults. Tap into that curiosity to find out how something works or how something could be better.
- Rituals of mindfulness/meditation/breathing - it's easy to find yourself scrolling your instagram feed or news feeds, but take some time for mindfulness. Is there something you can do for a friend, something you need for yourself. Spend some time and intention on how to spend your energy. Add a practice of mediation even if it's for 1 or 2 minutes. You will be amazed at the outcomes.
- Find wonder and awe - there are so many amazing experiences to be had, seek them out! There are so many beautiful things to be seen. If it looks cool on instagram, imagine experiencing them in real life!
- Be open minded - our beliefs should be adjustable. I have feelings about certain institutions and thoughts that are very different today than when I first had thoughts about them. That's a good thing. We should always be growing and learning.
- Create and collaborate - make something beautiful (or delicious) and think about how we can collaborate with some of the interesting people in our lives.
- Enjoy new and old music / share your favorites - make a playlist for yourself and share it with your friends. Ask your friends for a song that they absolutely love. Your favorite movie had a dope soundtrack, you should, too!
- Read / Write / listen to audiobooks/podcasts - life is crazy and it gets difficult to find time to read. I listen to more audiobooks than I read, but I am trying to make time to read and write, too.
- Learn from failure - life isn't a smooth road, it has bumps and twists and sometimes, we get derailed. Acknowledge those setbacks and hiccups, learn from them, and move forward!
I will continue to add to this list and I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. I hope this helps at least one of you. I'm confident if we do many of these items, we will live a good life full of love and happiness! Much love friends!